In several discussions with clients recently, the whole area of social media and how they should be thinking about their personal brands has come up.
At a recent presentation by Kevin Durkee of The Jet Star Group, he talked about the fact that the use of social media is "a conversation happening at the speed of light. Also he outlined 20 tips for companies to consider when communicating their brand via social media, many of these can be readily and equally applied to your personal brand:
- Be candid and authentic.
- Offer a peek behind the scenes.
- Automated greetings are a big No No!
- Put your website content to work, share buttons.
- Be careful what you say about others.
- Interact with visitors, really.
- Don't try to create a stand in for yourself.
- Avoid broken record syndrome, have a communications plan.
- Reward customer loyalty.
- Make amends with dissatisfied customer, quickly.
- Don't go on the defensive.
- Keep customers in the loop.
- Find potential customers.
- See where your customers are.
- Let customers help each other out.
- Let customers contribute.
- Help others promote you.
- Find influential people in your industry.
- Boost your credibility by helping others.
- See what other people are saying about you.
How are you communicating your personal brand via social media?