Time magazine gushingly reported this week that “Gwyneth Paltrow Has a Seriously Extensive LinkedIn Profile”. But on closer examination her profile may not even reach ‘All Star’ status, which is the ideal minimum that you want your profile to be.
You can view her profile by clicking here.
There are several good things to notice;
- Well taken headshot, interestingly using black and white which is different.
- Good use of a custom header image (the office of Goop her online media company).
- Her profile is brand new this week and she has already published her first Pulse post.
- Used the ‘Publications’ section of the profile and also extensively uses the ‘Honors & Awards’ and ‘Volunteer Experience & Causes’ sections.
However there are a number of common errors with her profile that you will want to check you are not doing too;
- Defaulting her work titles as her headline. Instead she should be highlighting what she does and who it impacts.
- Not customizing her Public Profile URL – https://www.linkedin.com/in/gwyneth-paltrow-483b5511a follow these instructions here to change yours.
- Writing her Summary in the third person. This is okay for a bio on a website but your personal profile is personal so make it first person.
- Not maximsing the use of visual media in her profile. There are a number of images related to Goop but that’s all they are. This is the place that you want to engage the reader more with video or a slidedeck for example.
- Apart from posting her first Pulse post she has not been active at all. Networking is about helping others. Be sure that you are taking the time to add value.
What do you like or dislike about her profile? Please comment below.
If this sounds like too much or you are having trouble knowing where to start with LinkedIn, it’s hard to know what the right actions are to get the right results and its a steep learning curve that you don’t have time to take. One of our brand LinkedIn packages might be the answer click here for more details